Georgia Tech exposes Rutgers’ inefficiencies in sweep

51357ae0ad40c.image

Senior righthander Charlie Law only lasted two innings after allowing nine runs Sunday to Georgia Tech. Now that his ERA has increased to 14.73, whether he will stay in the weekend rotation is uncertain.

It was only last season that the Rutgers baseball team could at least compete with Georgia Tech during their three-game series.

Head coach Fred Hill did not see that this weekend against the No. 16 Yellow Jackets — as the Scarlet Knights were swept in all three games while only producing three runs.

“Bad weekend,” Hill said. “I thought Georgia Tech was good, but we played poorly. More importantly than anything else though, we didn’t swing the bats well.”

That was evident in the Knights’ third game — a 12-0 loss to end the series.

Senior righthander Charlie Law took the mound for his third start of the season, but the senior only lasted two innings before being pulled. Law allowed nine runs on 10 hits while surrendering one walk.

His outing began early in the game, where the Yellow Jackets were successful all throughout the series. Georgia Tech collected six runs in the first inning before Law worked his way out of the inning.

Law’s ERA ballooned to 14.73, a stat line that will need to be addressed — as well as whether it will be a rotation change or more rest for Law.

“We’re thinking about it,” Hill said of rotation changes. “We haven’t made any decisions about it yet, but we might make some changes in the lineup and also with some pitchers.”

The first candidate that can be plugged into the rotation is the same pitcher who relieved Law in the third game.

Senior reliever Nathaniel Roe tossed four scoreless innings in relief before giving way to the rest of the bullpen.

The Plainfield, N.J., native now sports a 1.17 ERA in four appearances out of the pen.

Senior righthander Tyler Gebler noticed his teammates’ good performance in a series filled with bad ones.

“We ran into a hot team, and they were swinging the bats well,” Gebler said. “I just say that we came out flat in every game and didn’t do anything right early on in each game. We were put in a hole, and no one really pitched too well except Nate.”

Gebler was able to last longer than Law in Rutgers’ 11-2 loss Saturday, but the Toms River, N.J., native could not escape the early offense that the Yellow Jackets were able to produce.

Georgia Tech drove in six runs in the first two innings of the second game, but it was not all because of offense. The Knights fell victim to four errors in the field.

Gebler was more intrigued with the depth of the Yellow Jackets’ lineup.

“When you’re on the mound, and you get through the one through five hitters and then, all of a sudden, six through nine — there are guys ripping the ball, and they don’t miss a beat,” Gebler said. “They’re a good hitting team every year, so it wasn’t surprising.”

Their 13-1 victory in the first game gave validation to Gebler’s claim, but Hill did not feel Georgia Tech (11-1) was that much better than what the score indicated.

He remains confident that the Knights (2-7) will be alright before Big East play, but their performance against the Yellow Jackets will have to be addressed.

“It was just poor hitting and poor defense,” Hill said. “We work on it enough, and the kids are good. We just made some mental mistakes.”

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @BradlyDTargum.