Junior nets five goals in home win

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team defeated Hofstra yesterday 13-6.

The Scarlet Knights (6-1) record their fifth straight victory with goals from four different players.

Junior attack Megan Clements sealed the game with the final two goals for the Knights, extending

Rutgers’ lead to seven with four minutes remaining. Clements paced the Knights with five goals in the game.

Clements received a cross-net pass from sophomore attack Annie McGinley midway through the second period for her third goal of the game.

The Knights took advantage of a brief goalie change by Hofstra midway through the second period when junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli scored her second straight goal.

She received a pass from Clements from behind the net on the previous possession and was able to convert for a score.

The Knights opened up the second half with a goal from McGinley. She took a backhanded shot in front of the net as the ball passed through the goalkeeper’s legs to give Rutgers a 9-4 lead.

She put together a two-goal game to increase her season total to three.

Rutgers went into halftime with an 8-4 lead.

Most of the Knights’ offense came from their ball movement. The team was often able to find an open player close to Hofstra’s net.

“This was some of the most pressure that we’ve seen from a defense,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias. “I was really proud of the fact that they were moving the ball well.”

The Knights found a scoring opportunity with two minutes remaining in the first period.

Freshman attack Halley Barnes found classmate Chrissy Schreiber driving to the net, but the shot went wide.

Rutgers maintained possession and Martinelli was able to score unassisted to give the Knights a four-goal lead.

Junior attack Amanda Trendell chose to pass on a free position attempt and found Clements for a goal. She proceeded to score one of her own on a low shot that rolled through multiple defenders.

Rutgers grabbed a 4-2 lead in the first 10 minutes of the game.

The Knights attacked the net early and converted on individual offensive plays.

Trendell scored two unassisted goals with drives to the net on the left side.

Martinelli and Clements began the game with nearly identical goals. Both players ran from behind the net and buried shots on the left side of the goal.

Hofstra scored a goal off the opening possession from defender April Iannetta, but only held the lead for 35 seconds after the Knights scored two-straight goals.

“It’s really important, especially when it’s a high-pressure game, and they’re really trying to keep the pace of play going,” Brand-Sias said of the early goals. “You want to make sure you have that cushion, so you have room for any mistakes that you make.”

With the victory, the Knights have a chance to enter Big East action with only one loss.

Rutgers has one game in out of conference play remaining when it plays Tuesday against Princeton Brand-Sias emphasized the importance of getting the wins out of conference.

“Obviously we always want to take care of conference, but we don’t have conference to think about yet,” Brand-Sias said. “We want to make sure we take care of our region and getting as many wins as we possibly can.”

By Ian Erhard