Knights return home for final two regional games

514010e5054a6.image
Photo by Lianne Ng |

Freshman midfielder Chrissie Schreiber has scored four goals this season, including two on Saturday against Delaware.

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team plays Hofstra today to begin a two-game home stand.

The Scarlet Knights (5-1) look to remain undefeated at the RU Stadium Complex this season.

For Rutgers, success in regional play has become commonplace. The Knights have started the season with a 5-1 record in three of the last four years.

But this season has already offered several obstacles.

“We’re in a good position right now. We’re definitely getting better with every game,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias. “We’ve experienced a lot of bumps in the road so far this season, but we’re taking them in stride and using them to help us grow.”

The Knights have encountered many close games this season, and their most recent win — a 7-4 victory Saturday against Delaware — improved the team’s winning streak to four games.

Freshman midfielder Chrissie Schreiber scored two goals in that game and attributes significant offensive possession as a big part of the Knights’ recent success.

“We’ve been working on taking care of the ball better and making better decisions going to the cage, and it’s really been working out,” Schreiber said.

Schreiber and freshman midfielder Halley Barnes have found the back of the net frequently in the first few games of their careers.

The two players combine for 11 goals this season, with Barnes currently the fourth-leading scorer on the team.

“The girls are great. When they step on the field, age doesn’t matter,” Schreiber said. “Everyone is awesome, and the attack just flows really well together and we all work off each other.”

Midfielder Amanda Trendell is just ahead of Barnes in points.

The junior tallied a career-best five points March 2 against Monmouth, and enters today’s game following a three-point performance against Delaware.

Trendell emphasized the smart play of the team’s attackers as a reason for its recent success.

“We’ve been working together as more of a unit instead of individuals and everyone’s really flowing together,” she said. “We’re trying to be smarter with the ball and take our time.”

With two games remaining before the start of Big East action, the Knights will try to finish nonconference play strong.

Hofstra arrives with a two-game losing streak after winning its first four games of the season.

Attack Brittain Altomare paces the Pride with 25 points in six games. The sophomore has a balanced ratio of goals to assists this season.

She led the team in scoring in a loss March 3 to No. 1 Maryland, when she put together two goals and two assists against the Terrapins.

By Ian Erhard