Rutgers Against Hunger raises funds with campus bookstore

51511e4972319.image
Photo by Smaranda Tolosano |

Johnny Malpica, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, asks cashier Allison Bittner, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, about donating to Rutgers Against Hunger yesterday at the University’s Barnes and Noble.

Rutgers Against Hunger, a college-wide initiative working to aid hunger in New Jersey, is partnering with the University’s Barnes and Noble college bookstore for the sixth time to raise funds for local food pantries and food banks.

The fundraiser, which began in 2010, usually takes place at the beginning of every fall and spring semester. But Kathleen Decker, program coordinator for RAH, said it kicked off yesterday to prepare for food donation shortages in the summer.

“Summer is when they have lowest supply, [having the fundraiser] in the middle of March through May would help [food] banks purchase food for their clients in the summer,” Decker said. “This is the first year that we are doing it a bit later.”

Donations are not included in any purchases at the store, but cashiers ask customers if they would like to donate $1 or more toward RAH.

With all the events planned in the spring, Decker said RAH is hoping the bookstores will have extra traffic increase donations. RAH raised about $5,500 in the 2012 fall semester, and since 2010, more than $15,000.

The Starbucks in the bookstore cannot accept tips, so it donates any money from its tip jar to RAH as well, Decker said. The fundraiser will run until May 20.

“We’re giving them an outlet to fundraise to a population that may not usually donate to RAH,” said Jennifer Larsen, assistant manager at the bookstore.

By Julian Chokkattu