Targum should not advocate Islamophobia

Letter to the Editor

Ever since the tragic events of Sept. 11, Muslims all across America have been attacked. What people need to realize is that the terrorism that occurs across the world has nothing to do with Islam. In fact, Islam forbids any acts of violence, including suicide bombing and terrorism. The truth is that most of the people who speak so openly about the religion of Islam do not even know what it is they oppose. Such a phobia is irrational in its very existence, but what makes yesterday’s ad in The Daily Targum even more revolting was the fact that Islamophobia was advocated in our University, a university I’ve always felt at home at.

The University has always claimed to be a diverse institution. But diversity means respecting the ideology and moral existence of all cultures and religions. Yesterday’s ad, however, did not respect Islam in any way or form. In fact, it insulted Islam to a great extent, for the examples of deaths and murders had nothing to do with Islam, not even in the slightest, bent form. Any actions or violent gestures that may have taken place in other countries are against the beliefs Islam promotes, and such a claim is proven in the Quran. An accusation that indicts otherwise proves ignorance, because it shows that the University approved such blind illiteracy.

Nida Khadbai is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore majoring in pre-business with a minor in business and technical writing.

By Nida Khadbai