Tennis: Bulldogs give RU challenge

The Rutgers women’s tennis team travels Saturday to Yale for a match against the Bulldogs.

It will be the final non-conference match of the year for both schools.

The Scarlet Knights enter this match with wins in three straight matches. Rutgers has become adjusted to the outdoor game once again after playing indoors during the winter season.

The Knights (10-5, 4-2) will have their work cut out for them in this match against Yale. The Bulldogs (10-2) are known as one of the strongest teams in the country and are undefeated at home with seven wins.

“Our objective is to go out and play our best tennis and be the competitors that we are and let the chips fall into place,” said Rutgers head coach Benjamin Bucca.

This is the last non-conference match for the Knights this season, so the team wants to see improvement going into a long stretch of Big East Conference games.

The strong overall team play from Yale this season should provide Rutgers with a difficult matchup and help prepare the Knights for conference play.

The Knights’ most recent victory came on March 27 against Villanova as Rutgers controlled the matchup for a 7-0 victory.

Big East play is always competitive for the Knights, so the victory should be able to help prepare the team for their matchup with Yale.

The Knights have won their last three matches by a combined score of 22-to-1 during their winning streak. But the match against Yale will be tougher for Rutgers and the team will have to bring their best if it wants to be the first opponent this season to win at Yale.

“We are going into this match playing our best tennis and we are going to see what happens,” Bucca said.

The Knights’ most recent victories have all been complete team efforts have led to strong play from the team. Rutgers will need another strong effort to defeat Yale and to continue their strong play for the rest of the season.

Mike Kosinski