Tennis: RU extends winning streak to four

The Rutgers tennis team notched its third shutout of the season thanks to a 7-0 effort Tuesday against Connecticut.

The victory extended the Scarlet Knights’ (6-2, 3-0) current winning streak to four.

“This was a strong win against a Connecticut team that is a lot better than their record shows,” said head coach Ben Bucca. “The challenge in this match was to bring the energy and focus that we have brought to our past few matches, and the girls really stepped up to the plate and got the job done.”

The Knights clinched the doubles point after freshmen Mariam Zein and Lindsey Kayati defeated Maxene Weinberg and Srna Stosljevic, 8-4. The third doubles match did not finish.

Rutgers began with momentum by taking the doubles point for the early 1-0 lead. Junior Vanessa Petrini and freshman Gina Li continued their dominate performances in doubles, defeating Abby McKeon and Lucy Nutting in the No. 1 position. Petrini and Li improved to 5-1 together with the victory.

All four of Rutgers’ doubles participants represented the team in its No. 1 through 4 singles positions, a roster moved that proved effective against the Huskies top four.

Petrini kept the momentum going for the Knights with victory against Weinberg in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5. Li needed a third set to get her victory against Stosljevic, resulting in a, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, win. Her victory improved her record to a team-best 7-1 this season, extending her winning streak to four in singles action.

One of the big highlights of the day came in the No. 3 singles match between Zein and Nutting, as it came down to a first-to-eleven tiebreak set.

Zein came back from a 9-7 deficit to defeat Nutting, 11-9, and sealed the victory for the Knights.

Rutgers dominated in its’ last three sets, with all three victories coming in straight-set decisions. Sophmores Noor Judeh and Lindsay Balsamo defeated Natalie Robson and Marie Gargiulo, respectively. With the win, Balsamo is now on a four-match winning streak. Kayati defeated McKeon to improve her record to 6-1.

By Jim Mooney