July 23, 2018 | ° F

Women's lacrosse: RU beats Blue Hens for fourth straight win

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team extended its winning streak to four games Saturday with a 7-4 victory at Delaware.

The Scarlet Knights begin the year with a 5-1 record in regional play for the third time in the last four seasons.

Four different Knights contributed with several points in the victory.

Junior attack Megan Clements and junior midfielder Amanda Trendell led the team with three points apiece.

Both players increased their offensive contributions as of late, emerging as recurring goal scorers for the Knights during the current winning streak.

Senior goalkeeper Lily Kalata had to make five saves.

The co-captain surrendered one goal during the first 40-plus minutes of regulation, allowing the Knights to generate a lead.

Delaware entered the game following a 17-goal performance March 5 against Lehigh. The Knights were able to hold the Blue Hens to only seven shots on goal.

Delaware was offensively stagnant for most of the game but strung together the final three goals of regulation.

Attack Abbie Hartman scored two goals for Delaware in a span of 40 seconds to bring the team within three.

The Hens were given four free position attempts in the final 10 minutes of the game, but failed to convert a single opportunity.

Rutgers built a substantial lead early in the second half that would not be overcome, despite the late miscues.

It took a 7-1 lead midway through the second period — with a goal from freshman midfielder Chrissie Schreiber.

The goal was her second of the game and the fourth of her young career. Clements assisted on the score after she tallied her own goal earlier in the period.

“[Schreiber is] starting to gain confidence with every game,” said head coach Laura Brand-Sias. “She was making some good cuts, seeing good opportunities inside when [Delaware’s] defense broke down and was able to finish the shot.”

Rutgers would string together five unanswered goals beginning late in the first half and ending midway through the second period.

“Delaware is always a really tough opponent, and it always comes down to like a one-goal game against them,” Trendell said. “So we kind of just wanted to get a good amount of goals and come off on a really quick start.”

Junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli scored a pair of goals for the second straight game.

She opened up scoring in the second period with a goal and helped give the Knights a 4-1 lead at halftime.

By Ian Erhard