Alumni design customizable, aluminum eyewear

516389daad229.image
Photo by Courtesy of Kunal Sheth |

Monte Cool is looking to expand their product — magnetized sunglasses made of anodized aluminum which allow customers to change the arms to different colors.

After noticing the amount of people wearing Ray Ban sunglasses on campus, University Alumnus Kunal Sheth was inspired to launch a new, innovative product.

“I was like man everybody’s wearing Ray Bans and getting ripped off,” he said. “Even me, I have a pair of Ray Bans. I spent $150 on them—I spent $150 on plastic. We can do better.”

This realization marked the start of his so-called non-plastic sunglasses movement. Sheth’s products, Monte Cool Sunglasses, are built with anodized aluminum, the same material used to make Apple iMacs and iPads.

Monte Cool Sunglasses also stand out because of the company’s patented hinge, which allows a buyer to magnetically unattached and reattached the sunglasses’ arms.

Photo: Courtesy of Kunal Sheth .

Sheth always had an interest business and money making, and majored in finance at the University. His experiences in Rutgers Business School taught him plenty about the field, but also helped him realized he never wanted a career in finance.

After graduating last summer, Sheth and Matov moved to California where they devoted their time to attracting investors, designing prototypes and preparing to launch the website.

The website launched last week, and Monte Cool currently has 10 prototype sunglasses, Sheth said. The company now hones in on selling their first batch of 1,000 to 1,500 sunglasses by allowing buyers who make a reservation through the website to receive a 30 percent discount from the product’s $99 retail price.

Buyers have the option to custom laser engravings the detachable arms, so now the company focuses on selling the products to fraternities, clubs and organizations who can use the product to sport their letters or logos. Sheth said even the Miami Heat showed interest in engraving players’ numbers on the arms.

In the future Sheth hopes Monte Cool can partner with clothing brands that will rebrand the sunglasses with the clothing company’s logo.

Now blogs promoting the product and social networks have created a market for new customers, Chandran said.

“There’s a new Thrillest . . . We woke up one day, [our product] jumped up 50 orders in one day, how did that happen?,” he said. “I called Kunal and we tried to figure it out and we decided it’s because this blog decided to post our product up.”

Alex Meier