Baseball: Gebler receives league recognition

515a448d591b8.image

Senior Tyler Gebler earned Big East Pitcher of the Week thanks to his three-hit shutout against Villanova.

Rutgers head baseball coach Fred Hill said yesterday that his starting rotation’s performance impressed him the most — out of all the positives from the weekend sweep against Villanova.

He has even more to be happy about thanks to senior righthander Tyler Gebler.

Gebler was chosen as the Big East Baseball Pitcher of the Week yesterday afternoon — becoming the second Scarlet Knight starter to earn the award after senior lefthander Rob Smorol earned the same recognition earlier this year.

In the second game of the three-game series against the Wildcats, Gebler tossed a three-hit complete game to defeat Villanova, 2-0.

“Gebler went nine innings [for us],” Hill said. “He did a pretty good job. As a unit, they are doing a very good job.”

Gebler struck out eight batters, surrendered just three hits and allowed no walks in the victory.

Thanks to his performance, Rutgers won with just two runs in the game — as Gebler only faced three runners over the minimum.

For the Toms River, N.J., native, it moved his record this season to 2-3 as the Knights’ No. 2 starter. In Big East action, he has allowed one earned run in 15.2 innings of work.

Gebler is just happy that the whole starting rotation is performing well.

“I feel like we’ve hit our groove,” Gebler said of the starting rotation. “Just to come out in Big East play two weekends in a row — throwing this well — really does a lot for our confidence.”

His performance also improved his already impressive totals career-wise against Villanova. He holds a 3-0 record against the Wildcats and allowed only five runs for a career 1.65 ERA against the program.

The league also recognized junior second baseman Nick Favatella with an Honor Roll selection for his three-game performance at the plate against Villanova.

Favatella batted .538 in the three contests, going 7-for-14 at the dish. The Washington Township, N.J., native also was responsible for four RBI and five runs scored.

Favatella, who struggled in the early part of the season, has picked up his play in Big East action. In six league games, Favatella batted .344 in 29 plate appearances.

Rutgers will have an opportunity to get over the .500 mark for the first time this season if they can win back-to-back games — starting today against Columbia and tomorrow against Iona.

They will do so with hot performers on both the hill and at the plate.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D.