Coleman continues rehab on knee

5179ed091d189.image
Photo by Tian Li |

Redshirt freshman receiver Carlton Agudosi (13) is one of the younger wideouts getting advice from wideout Brandon Coleman, while the junior continues to rehabilitate from an offseason knee surgury.

Dressed in a cutoff shirt in the Hale Center, it is evident junior wide receiver Brandon Coleman has focused more on his upper body than everything else.

What is not visible is the work he is doing to his lower half, a constant grind to get his recently surgically repaired right knee ready in time for training camp in August.

“I’ve been going hard in the weight room six days a week,” Coleman said. “I’m on a strict program and just doing what I have to do.”

Coleman, who underwent minor knee surgery in March, said he should be off his crutches “within the next week or so” and be able to begin running drills in July.

While the next few months will be crucial for Coleman to get back into playing form, he is certain he will be ready to go once the Rutgers football team begins its preparations for the upcoming season.

“No doubt in my mind I’ll be ready for camp,” Coleman said confidently. “Physically, mentally, I’ll be ready for camp.”

But for now, all Coleman can do is watch, whether it be in the film room or on the practice field.

For redshirt freshman wideout Carlton Agudosi, that means another wide receiver coach to tell him what he has done wrong in addition to position coach Matt Simon.

“He’s been a great help,” Agudosi said. “He’s always in my ear telling me what to do and always trying to help me out to get better.”

Coleman does not dispute the fact he has been more of a mentor than anything else to the receiving corps.

“It’s been a lot of meeting room conversations,” Coleman said. “I’ve talked to them and pulled them to the side, and I’m the first one in their face when they come off the practice field. I just want to know how things went and I’m just in there talking to the young guys. They’ve been really receptive.”

Agudosi has been one of the younger wideouts to receive an increase in reps because of Coleman’s injury.

The increased workload has not gone unnoticed by head coach Kyle Flood, who said some of the greener receivers have benefited from more throws coming their way during spring drills.

“Guys like [redshirt freshmen wideouts] Ruhann Peele and Carlton Agudosi, it’s been really exciting to watch these guys in practice,” Flood said.

The younger receivers’ confidence has been evident in spring practices and was on display halfway through yesterday morning’s practice.

Peele took a pass from junior quarterback Gary Nova and went up field before a few Knights defenders met him. Peele proceeded to jaw to the sideline to try and pump up the defense.

And while Coleman would rather be out on the field with Peele and the rest of the unit, right now the focus is just getting his knee better for when he is really needed.

For now, all he can do is root on his fellow receivers and help them along the way.

“I’m proud of those boys, seeing them on film and competing hard and getting their chance to do what I know they are capable of doing,” Coleman said. They’ve showed the coaches and showed everyone else that they are capable of playing at this level.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.