Goalkeeper holds chance for conference award

517f33dbb1b88.image
Photo by Marielle Sumergido |

Freshman goalkeeper Kris Alleyne has already been named twice to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll this season.

With the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team’s season now complete, the team has a chance to reflect on the last few months.

The Big East will announce its award winners and the All-Big East teams tomorrow before this weekend’s Big East Tournament.

The Scarlet Knights have a few players who could hear their names announced by the conference, and freshman Kris Alleyne is in good standing to contend for Goalkeeper of the Year.

Alleyne was impressive this season in net for the Knights, starting 14 games with only one missed game because of injury. He allowed just more than 10 goals per game and had a save percentage just under 60 percent.

The Big East has recognized Alleyne for his efforts in net before, as he was named twice this season to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

Entering last weekend’s game against Georgetown, Alleyne ranked sixth nationally in saves per game, averaging 13.46 saves per contest. Alleyne also ranked seventh in the country in save percentage.

Entering this season, Alleyne was unsure of how his game would translate to collegiate play after being named an All-American in high school.

“Honestly, I’m still in shock with how well I played this year. I really wasn’t sure how I would transition to Division I since the game is much faster than in high school,” Alleyne said. “I give a lot of credit to my coaches for molding me into a great goaltender this season.”

Along with Alleyne, sophomore midfielder Joseph Nardella and junior attack Scott Klimchak may find themselves named to one of the All-Big East teams.

Nardella may be listed as a midfielder, but his work as the face-off specialist this season is what garnered attention. He ranked fifth in the country in face-off win percentage before the Georgetown game.

“[Nardella] is a great teammate, great friend and a leader for us on the field,” said Alleyne. “He is one of the most elite face-off guys I’ve ever seen and has been an absolute workhorse all year. It’s not always pretty, but he finds a way to get the job done.”

Following the Georgetown game, Nardella finished the season with 222 face-off wins and had a final win percentage of .622.

Nardella also added two goals and nine assists, third most on the team to give him 11 points on the season.

Klimchak was the most consistent and effective offensive threat the Knights possessed.

The junior scored a career-high and team-high 32 goals. He also added seven assists to give him a final total of 39 points this season, which also led the team.

To add to his team lead in goals and points, Klimchak was tied with freshman attack Scott Bieda for the most multi-point games with nine.

Both Klimchak and Nardella were named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll this season for their efforts against Holy Cross and Army. It was Nardella’s first honor of the year and Klimchak’s second.

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.