Hill credits rotation for recent success

516cb93c2e131.image

Senior righthander Charlie Law collected his third win this year when he pitched eight innings Sunday against Cincinnati.

When Charlie Law walked off Bainton Field on Sunday in the eighth inning against Cincinnati, he capped one of the more successful series for head coach Fred Hill’s weekend rotation.

“For the most part, [senior lefthander Rob] Smorol and [senior righthander Tyler] Gebler have been pitching real well, so [Law’s performance] gives us a third option,” Hill said. “Any one of them could be our No. 1 going out against their No. 3, so you kind of feel good with your chances to win it.”

Law went eight full innings against the Bearcats and allowed just one earned run on three hits with five strikeouts.

It was the third win of the season for the Mainland, N.J., native, but, more importantly, it captured the Knights’ third Big East series win of the season.

The success in conference play can be credited to Rutgers’ starting pitching.

Smorol went in the first game against Cincinnati and rebounded from his 15-1 loss April 5 to Seton Hall.

Smorol tossed seven innings of eight-hit ball and registered just one earned run in the process.

Gebler threw a complete contest in the middle game of the series. Despite the Knights’ 3-2 loss in that game, Gebler struck out six players with three earned runs.

In all, the three starters combined for 24 and a third innings over the weekend.

If Rutgers’ weekend rotation keeps up its production, it will fare well by the time the Big East playoffs arrive.

The Knights are currently 8-4 this season in Big East play with series against Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Georgetown and South Florida remaining.

If Rutgers can at least split the four series, it would do wonders for its playoff prospects and its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2007.

If successful in either tournament, the Knights’ starting pitchers will be a big reason why.

“I’ve been saying it from the beginning, but if we put it all together, there are not many teams that can beat us,” Law said. “If we can play our game and a complete game, we’re right there.”

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D. For general Rutgers sports updates follow @TargumSports.