Men's Lacrosse: Rookies shine despite losing skid

515a43f03378a.image

Head coach Brian Brecht was impressed with freshman goalie Kris Alleyne on Saturday against Providence, where he recorded 25 saves.

In spite of its recent losing streak, the Rutgers men’s lacrosse team is beginning to receive breakout performances from a pair of freshmen.

Freshman goalie Kris Alleyne was named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll for the second consecutive week — after a career-high save total against Providence.

“Kris Alleyne stood on his head the other night with 25 saves,” said head coach Brian Brecht. “That’s the most I ever seen a goalie that I’ve coached have.”

Alleyne has posted double-digit saves in his last two games in net — which included a game against Notre Dame, the former No. 1 team in the country.

The New City, N.Y., native has 39 saves on 82 shots in his past two games. Alleyne also racked up a career-high five ground balls against Providence.

Along with Alleyne’s recent breakout performances, freshman attack Scott Bieda also broke out against the Friars. Bieda scored three goals in the game, increasing his season total to 11.

“Scott had an excellent game, and that was the best I’ve seen him play all season,” Brecht said.

Bieda was a U.S. Lacrosse All-American last year at Bridgewater-Raritan (N.J.) High School and — as a junior in 2011 — he was an Under Armour Underclass All-American. He also earned the honor of Courier News Player of the Year in 2012.

In his first season playing collegiately, Bieda is third on the team with 17 points and 11 goals, along with racking up six assists.

“[It] definitely means a lot to be contributing as a freshman and actually just playing at all … getting a chance to start,” Bieda said. “It’s a big thing for me, and it’s an opportunity that I take greatly.”

Alleyne and Bieda could not have picked a better time to step up their play — as the Scarlet Knights are at the bottom of the Big East standings with a 0-3 conference record to go along with their seven-game losing streak.

The upperclassmen have been solid all year long for the Knights, but the freshman duo’s recent play has been a pleasant surprise for Brecht.

“It’s nice to see some of the younger guys excelling, especially at this point in a long season,” Brecht said. “I loved the growth of the entire program from start to finish, as well.”

Comments

Rules of Conduct
  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.