Midfielder aids offense in rookie season

51789ba3aab22.image
Photo by Tian Li |

Midfielder Chrissy Schreiber scored a late goal April 7 against No. 7 Syracuse.

Chrissy Schreiber is one of three freshmen to contribute to the Rutgers women’s lacrosse offense. The midfielder played in all 15 games this season with starts in 13 of them.

“The experience is definitely going to help us in the future, me being a freshman,” Schreiber said. “It’s a lot to handle, but it’s definitely, in the long run, going to make me a better player. It’s definitely a little scary at times, but worth it because it will only make us a better team.”

Schreiber was also one of three players to find the back of the cage Sunday against Loyola’s defense.

She scored a goal late in the first period April 7 against then-No. 5 Syracuse to bring the Scarlet Knights within one at halftime.

Photo: Tian Li

Freshman midfielder Chrissy Schreiber has nine goals, but she has also contributed to the defense by causing five turnovers.

With the Knights struggling to convert shots to goals lately, Schreiber and her teammates are determined to give extra effort to finish out the season.

“I know the attack — we’ve talked about it after the game — that we need to get up to the field on our own and have some motivation,” Schreiber said. “I think that [Sunday], seeing the stats and then seeing the result of the game, we really, really need to do that on our own.”

Freshmen have needed to step up all season because of injuries to key upperclassmen.

Schreiber said she did not expect to see playing time as a freshman, but now focuses to build upon her numbers this season.

“I’d always love to have more, but just getting on the field is a huge thing that I wasn’t expecting,” she said. “It’s definitely really cool to be having such an impact for my team being a freshman, but I’d definitely like to get those numbers a little higher.”

She has nine goals to go along with her contributions on the defensive end, where she has caused five turnovers and secured nine groundballs.

The East Meadow, N.Y., native was a U.S. Lacrosse All-American Midfielder as a senior at St. Anthony’s (N.Y.) High School.

She helped her team win two consecutive Catholic League Championships during her sophomore and junior seasons.

Schreiber is also not the first person in her family to find success playing lacrosse.

Her father, Doug Schreiber, is a member of the U.S. Lacrosse Hall of Fame and is a former National Player of the Year at Maryland. He was part of the 1973 National Championship team with the Terps.

By Ian Erhard