RU assistant resigns as staff shrinks

As the fallout continues from the release of practice tapes and subsequent termination of former Rutgers head men’s basketball coach Mike Rice, one of his assistants has followed his way out of the door at Piscataway.

Assistant coach Jimmy Martelli resigned yesterday in the wake of the Scarlet Knights’ continued negative presence in the national media, according to nj.com.

Martelli — who served as an assistant under Rice back at Robert Morris and has been with Rice since he took over the head coaching vacancy in 2010 — was witnessed shoving two players on the tapes compiled by former Director of Player Development Eric Murdock.

“Jimmy was spoken to about the matter,” Pernetti said Tuesday before ESPN released the tapes on “Outside the Lines.” “We dealt with that. Certainly, the tape focused on Mike, but it brought some other things to light that we dealt with at the same time that we dealt with Mike.”

Martelli’s conduct is just one of the many revelations that has come to light in the past week — and when asked about the situation at the Final Four press conference, NCAA President Mark Emmert called Rice’s practice actions “pretty appalling.”

But he declined to comment further on possible sanctions and penalties Rutgers could face for not revealing Rice of his duties when the University first knew of the tape back in November.

Emmert also declined to consider what happened with Rice and the University as an instance of “lack of institutional control” or “failure to monitor at the press conference.”

Martelli, the son of longtime St. Joseph’s head coach Phil Martelli, was not suspended by Pernetti when he was first made aware of the incident.

Martelli was the first major hire Rice back in 2010 and has been with Rice since 2007 at Robert Morris.

He also had coaching stints at Randolph-Macon College and Dickinson College, where he graduated from in 2005.

Interim head coach Dave Cox and assistant coach Van Macon are the only coaches left on the staff at this time.