Tennis: RU aims to improve seed in last four events

515a44f753774.image
Photo by Rico Cabredo |

Junior Vanessa Petrini and Rutgers enter a four-game stretch that will decide the Knights’ seed in the?Big East Tournament.

The Rutgers tennis team is getting ready to enter their biggest stretch of the season this week.

The Scarlet Knights have four Big East matches in a row to finish the year before the Big East Championships.

The Knights begin the conference stretch Thursday against St. John’s — followed by two home matches against Syracuse and Seton Hall. Rutgers finishes the regular season away against Georgetown.

Head coach Ben Bucca stressed the importance of this final set of games to the team.

“We have been preparing all year for these last four matches and, in many respects, these matches will define the team’s season,” Bucca said.

These matches will have an impact on the end result of Rutgers’ season, as the Knights seek a strong seed in the Big East Championships.

Big East matches are always important to Rutgers, and the team looks to bring its highest level of play for these matches at the end of the season.

“There is always excitement for Big East matches,” Bucca said. “We are looking to play well — and, hopefully, we can run the table.”

The Knights hope to peak at the right time and carry the momentum through these matches into the Big East Championships.

The Big East Championships are the most important part of Rutgers’ season, and these four matches leading into the Big East Championships will strongly determine the Knights’ overall seed.

Rutgers is currently 4-2 in conference play so far this season.

By Mike Kosinski