October 17, 2018 | ° F

Tennis: RU begins push for postseason

The Rutgers tennis team begins its biggest stretch of the season today when it travels to Queens to face Big East Conference opponent St. John’s.

The Scarlet Knights (10-6, 4-2) are coming off a loss in their last match. Rutgers’ most recent loss came to a Yale team Saturday that is one of the strongest in the country. The Knights look to build off the high level of play that took place during that match.

“We are just trying to get our minds focused to play this important match,” said sophomore Satreethai Sasinin.

St. John’s (7-7) season has been back and forth all year long. St John’s is 2-1 in Big East play, and they enter a very important stretch similar to Rutgers’.

The Knights’ main focus in this match is to play their type of tennis and control the match. The team can only control the way that they play, which is its main focus.

“We want to stay with our style of play instead of playing into their game,” said freshman Mariam Zein.

Rutgers has been preparing all season for these matches, and it is important for the team to start out strong with a win against St. John’s.

“I think that we have to focus on what we do best and draw the good things from our past matches,” Zein said.

The Knights defeated the Red Storm, 4-3, last season, which was the last time the two teams have faced each other.

By Mike Kosinski