Tennis: RU earns sixth seed in Big East tourney

The Rutgers tennis team was named the No. 6 seed for the Big East Championships after the seedings yesterday were announced. The Scarlet Knights will open the tournament against No. 11 seeded St. John’s.

“We were pretty happy with getting the sixth seed and thought it was fair,” said freshman Gina Li. “It has set us up with some good matches heading into the tournament.”

Rutgers (13-7, 7-3) enters this match having won three of its last four matches.

The Knights are not the only team entering this match with momentum. St. John’s (10-9, 4-3) have also won three straight matches and two of which were in conference play.

It is difficult for the teams in the tournament to prepare for their specific opponents because of the short amount of time between the seeding releases and the start of the tournament.

Luckily for the Knights, they played the Red Storm on April 4 and will have a good idea of what kind of team they will be facing in their opening round match.

“Considering that we have played St. John’s before, I think that we are ready to play them,” Li said. “We have to come out and play well in doubles, which will be the key.”

Rutgers will most likely see similar individual opponents from its match two weeks ago. It is important the team finds a way to learn from those matches and use its strengths to gain another victory against St. John’s.

“We are probably all playing the same people, so we just need to focus on the same strategy that won us the match before.” Li said.

It is important for the Knights to take the approach one match at a time during this tournament if they want to have success.

The match will take place in Tampa, the location of host team South Florida.

If the Knights are successful in this match, they will face the winner of today’s Louisville-Seton Hall match.

By Mike Kosinski