Women's Golf: Senior provides leadership for Ballard

The Rutgers women’s golf team left Maryland on Tuesday after it played one of its best rounds of golf this spring. The Scarlet Knights continued their trip north with a good feeling about the rest of the season.

“I want to continue on the trend we had [Tuesday],” said head coach Maura Ballard. “I just hope for good conditions, [to] stay focused and play as well as we are able to play. We did that [Tuesday], and I would like to see more of that.”

Ballard watched four of the five golfers shoot in the 70s at the completion of the third round, which was the most difficult day of action as the wind was stronger and challenged the team.

At the conclusion of the Hoya Invitational, three Knights claimed spots in the top-30 of 80 competitors and finished in eighth place.

“Everything was going really well for me,” said senior Brittany Weddell, who paced the Knights. “Every day, my putting improved, and that was a big thing for me to adjust to. I did better because I got used to the speeds of the greens. That really helped me in the last day. Everything just fell into place the last day.”

Weddell led the way with a total score of 232 and a 75 third-round score to finish tied for 15th. She was joined in that group by freshmen Samantha Moyal and Melanie Chambers, who tied for 24th and 29th, respectively.

The next stop for Rutgers is the Brown Bear Invitational in Rhode Island, another two-day event beginning Sunday. This will be the first time the Knights will compete in this tournament.

“It is going to be about focusing on areas I feel I need to work on, like my short game,” Weddell said. “That is for the rest of the team, too. We will be doing a lot of practice on the range for that. This tournament is new to everyone.”

With a roster that contains an abundance of underclassmen, Weddell admits they have showed steady improvement. Their persistence in practice and in match situations proves their maturity.

“It is all about experience and being comfortable out there,” Weddell said. “Especially since we have five freshmen on the team, as the season goes on we need to get more comfortable and that is really important. They are developing more confidence in their games and it is going to exciting to see how they do in the last two tournaments of the spring.”

Those two tournaments remaining in the spring season are the Knights’ final chances for their first tournament victory. Rutgers has played with poise, and it was made evident this week.

As Weddell’s career slowly comes to an end, she hopes to make the best of her last rounds on the team.

“I am trying to enjoy every round that we have left,” Weddell said. “I am a senior and I want to go out there and play my best golf. I am excited.”

By Aaron Farrar