Women's Golf: Seniors push for final shot at title

With only one tournament remaining in their careers with the Rutgers women’s golf team, seniors Karen Cash and Brittany Weddell hope it will be a memorable one as the duo has played four years without a title.

The Scarlet Knights travel back to Florida to end the year April 21 to 23, and their only goal is to play their best golf of the entire season.

They hope it will be sufficient enough to clinch the coveted Big East Championship.

“It would be a great honor,” Cash said of winning the tournament. “The couple of years that I have been here we trained very hard and we have been training for this tournament. This is what we look up to. We want to be one of the best in the Big East.”

Weddell and Cash make their final trip south to compete for something they have longed for. Neither has collected an individual or team title during their careers, although it has been something they have prepared for since their arrival to Rutgers.

The Knights have played two tournaments in Florida earlier this spring and have become accustomed to the conditions. They embrace the excitement that comes with competing in the most anticipated event of the season.

“We feel really comfortable going down there,” Weddell said of traveling back to Florida. “We are excited to go back down there. The course is beautiful, and we’re used to playing in the weather conditions. It is going to be a great experience for everyone and we are going to perform really well.”

Weddell has been a catalyst for the Knights this spring and has played arguably some of her best golf. She has walked off the course with several top-10 finishes as her and Cash have been the leaders of a roster of five freshmen.

The two have been vocal and instrumental in the development of their teammates and they believe everything absorbed this season will present itself when the team competes for the final time.

Now as Weddell and Cash realize the end of their careers is nearing, they admit that stepping onto the course Sunday will have a different feeling.

“It is very bittersweet,” Weddell said. “I am going to enjoy it and want to play my best golf. I really want to perform well. The practice round is when we really get a feel for the course and make a plan for every hole. I want to do my best for the team.”

The seniors are credited for their leadership and serving as valuable examples to a blossoming group. They have assisted in providing the rookies with a glimpse of what is to come if they continue to strive for improvement.

“The freshmen have learned a lot,” said head coach Maura Ballard. “They have learned through not only playing, they have learned from watching their senior leaders play. It was a huge year of growth for us and it is setting us up nicely for success in the future.”

By Aaron Farrar