Women's Lacrosse: Attack aids in low-goal contests

With the score tied in the second half against Monmouth on March 2, junior attack Megan Clements went on an offensive tear.

She scored four goals in a little more than 10 minutes to give the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team an important early-season victory.

This was the breakout game for Clements this season, but multiple-point contests would soon become the norm for her.

Clements sits second in points for the Scarlet Knights — behind junior midfielder Katrina Martinelli.

With 16 goals and three assists through the first 10 games, Clements has already surpassed her 2012 total in points.

Clements said the loss of players to graduation and injuries has allowed her to step up at the attack position.

She also credits the play of fellow classmates Martinelli and junior midfielder Amanda Trendell this season for the offense’s success.

“The fact that our offense has so many strong people and we’ve all been able to do what we can do,” she said. “Our offense has been working really well and I think that it has allowed us to play so well.”

Her confidence is derived from the support of her teammates, Clements said.

With a team that focuses on unity and carries a team-oriented mentality, it is no surprise Clements credits her ability to succeed individually to the players that surround her.

“The players are all accepting of me,” Clements said. “They give so much support and being able to learn from them and listen to them and what they have to say — the fact that the team has confidence in you gives you even more confidence in yourself.”

With a game against Connecticut tomorrow, the Knights begin a five-game homestand — all of which are against Big East opponents.

Clements said the tough conference schedule is just another obstacle the team will have to overcome.

“Teams know how our offense works. They know what each of us likes to do,” she said. “The fact that we have so many different people that can get the ball in the back of the net and do great things, I think we’ll be able to overcome all the challenges we face.”

This team has already faced its fair share of them.

Within a span of five games, the Knights lost all five by three goals or fewer. Their 8-2 record has not been handed to them.

Clements helped break that streak of close games on March 13 against Hofstra, where she put up a career-best five goals and one assist.

Since then she has scored a goal against conference opponent Notre Dame and future Big East member Marquette — a small preview of what she can contribute to the team down the stretch.

By Ian Erhard