$750 million bond act passes

The $750 million bond act for higher education passed in New Jersey on Election Day, Nov. 6, 2012.

The money funds capital projects for higher education in the state. A reserve of $300 million is being used for research universities including the University, Rowan University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology.

“All of [the projects] are in alignment with the academic priorities of Rutgers and with the state’s priorities to expand and strengthen New Jersey’s capacity in the fields of health care, life sciences and technology,” said University President Robert L. Barchi.

The University plans to use the money to help replace outdated chemistry facilities in the Wright-Rieman Chemistry and Chemical Biology Building on Busch campus, and hopes to feature state-of-the-art research labs and areas for teaching and instructional support.

The Ernest J. Mario School of Pharmacy plans to see a new addition to its main building, which plans to include new classrooms, laboratories, a mock hospital lab and a mock cleanroom. Busch campus is set to receive $26 million worth of renovations for better utility and transportation services.  

Rutgers-Camden’s School of Nursing/Science Building plans to feature specialized instructional spaces to simulate various health care environments and teaching labs.

Rutgers-Newark’s New Jersey Dental School plans to create 80 dental operation rooms, X-ray rooms, a clinical laboratory and support space for patient reception, clinical faculty and administration. The campus’ New Jersey Dental School Oral Health Research Lab and School of Health Related Professions have plans to be renovated.  

As the departments and functions of the life sciences in Rutgers-Newark are spread across campus, the Life Sciences Center plans to physically link existing facilities.

The money received from the bond act is also planned to be used to help the University update equipment used in the study of biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, DNA, genomics, chemistry, computer engineering and materials sciences across all the University campuses.

There are also plans to upgrade the University’s wireless services across all facilities – some of which was accomplished in December and January when the University updated the technology that runs RUWireless and RUWireless_Secure. Rutgers-Camden’s Data Center and the University’s data network will also be upgraded.

By Julian Chokkattu