City residents vote for BOE

5187293532b46.image
Photo by Enrico Caberdo |

ELECTION NIGHT Sen. Bob Menendez, D-NJ, was reelected for his second term in the U.S. Senate. The room erupted with cheers at the Heldrich Hotel in New Brunswick, Nov. 6, 2012.

New Brunswick made history when residents voted yes for an elected Board of Education Nov. 6, 2012. The results, released Nov. 28, were 3,407 yes votes to 3,309 no votes — a difference of 98 votes.

On Jan. 22, 2013, the city elected Diane Fajardo, a University alumna, and Ron Hush to two open seats in the school board.  Fajardo received 520 votes and Hush received 515 votes.

“An appointed board would have seven members, but now since it’s an elected board, you need nine members, so this is just an election to bring those two seats up to nine,” said Russell Marchetta, city spokesman.

On April 16, the city held its first regular Board of Education election for three open seats. Incumbents Benito Ortiz, John Krenos and Patricia Sadowski were elected back into their positions.

Ortiz received 682 votes. Krenos, a University administrator in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, received 584 votes and Sadowski received 675 votes.

A $27.3 million tax levy in support of a $195 million school budget was also on the ballot and passed with 473 yes votes and 203 no votes, according to Marchetta.

By Julian Chokkattu