Dance Marathon raises more than half a million

518728d1d5c6e.image
Photo by Shawn Smith |

The Rutgers University Dance Marathon raised a record-breaking $503,641.77 in April, 2013 for the Embrace Kids Foundation. The marathon celebrated its 15th consecutive year and kept dancers engaged for the whole 32 hours.

The Rutgers University Dance Marathon raised a record-breaking $503,641.77 last April for the Embrace Kid Foundation.

Celebrating its 15th consecutive year, RUDM was themed “Kids at Heart,” said Danielle Rossi, director of community outreach for the marathon. Although the event had one main theme, portions of the day were also themed to keep dancers engaged for the whole 32 hours.

“We had over 600 dancers register for this year’s event, more than we have ever had before,” said Rossi, a School of Arts and Sciences junior. “This year, we wanted to go bigger and better, and I think our [main] theme, ‘Kids at Heart,’ is our best one yet.”

The theme intended to help dancers relive their childhoods and the children who are battling cancer have a day to enjoy theirs, said Diana Ferrante, director of entertainment for Dance Marathon.

“We created six themes for the day that highlighted different points of our childhood, from games to prom,” Ferrante said. “We thought of our favorite parts of growing up and knew we needed to include toys, recess and sports.”

The Phi Sigma Sigma sorority raised $42,660 — more than any other group or organization, said Matt Mednick, director of finance for RUDM. The social fraternity Chi Psi raised a total of $36,107. The top professional fraternity, Alpha Zeta Omega, raised $13,082.

Carpe DM, a non-greek group created this year specifically for the fundraiser, raised $24,779, he said.

Alex Meier