Knights shave heads for charitable cause

After the Rutgers baseball team’s 4-2 victory against Connecticut yesterday, the team made its way to the practice field, where chairs and electric razors were waiting.

It was all a part of the Scarlet Knights support for the Vs. Cancer Foundation, as the Knights shaved off all of their hair for charity.

Senior catcher Jeff Melillo, who started the fundraiser, said to the crowd that gathered after the game that they were able to raise over $13,000 for the Vs. Cancer Foundation, more than $3,000 more than their goal of $10,000.

According to the scarletknights.com, the Vs. Cancer Foundation is dedicated to saving kids’ lives with the use of student athletes and the community to fund life-saving efforts. Half of the proceeds will be given to national cancer research and the other to local childhood cancer hospitals.

Senior lefthander Rob Corsi was one of the first to get his head shaven, and had a good attitude about his new look.

“Definitely a new breeze,” Corsi said. “We’re going down to Florida soon, so maybe it will keep me cool. So it’s cool.”

Each member of the team’s heads was shaved all the way down as hair covered the practice field. Other members of the athletic department participated as well, including newly hired men’s basketball coach Eddie Jordan.

Head coach Fred Hill was proud of the way Melillo and the rest of the team pulled together for a good cause but was hesitant in participating in it.

“Jeff did a great job organizing it,” Hill said. “... I also have to make a donation, but I’m not cutting my hair.”