Reliever may see time in starting rotation

Knight Notebook

5187252cac3a4.image
Photo by Nisha Datt |

Head coach Fred Hill said Sunday he will consider whether to keep righthander Rob Corsi, above, in the rotation.

Senior lefthander Rob Corsi made his second straight start yesterday against Connecticut as senior lefthander Tyler Gebler continues to deal with a sore shoulder.

But that did not stop the Toms River, N.J., native from making an appearance in the game.

Head coach Fred Hill pulled Corsi after six innings of work in favor of Gebler, who made his first relief appearance of the season.

Gebler pitched three innings out of the bullpen and allowed no hits, as he retired nine straight batters.

As a result of his performance, Hill said he may keep Gebler in the bullpen and allow Corsi to start.

“His shoulder was bothering him, so he took a week off and came back and it might be the spot for him,” Hill said.

Gebler is no stranger to relief pitching, as he was the Knights’ full-time closer his freshman year. In that season, he collected a school-record 12 saves en route to being named a freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

“It felt a lot better,“ Gebler said of coming out of the bullpen. “Freshman year I was kind of put there. I’m kind of coming back trying to start again, and it just had that late-game feel to it from freshman year. It felt pretty good.

Hill said he will decide in the next couple of days whether he will stick with Corsi as the Knights’ No. 3 starter, and the main reason is because of his recent performances.

Corsi allowed just two runs off five hits in his six innings.

Against Creighton on April 27, he threw five innings without allowing a run.

It is important for Gebler to return in any capacity as the Knights continue to fight to make the Big East playoffs. But if he continues to have problems with his shoulder, Corsi has no problems with starting games as long as Gebler pitches well too.

“It’s something I feel like you get progressively more comfortable with,“ Corsi said. “It was a huge pick-up for Tyler to be able to come back this weekend. Whenever he is throwing the ball it makes us a better team.”

Hill scheduled one midweek game for the Knights, as they will play St. Peter’s tomorrow at Bainton Field.

Hill scheduled the lone game against the Peacocks because of a rainout against Richmond earlier in the season that was never made up.

St. Peter’s (14-29) has lost five straight games and has won just one game in its last 11 outings, including a 13-8 loss to Monmouth, which Rutgers defeated April 17, 7-6.

It will be the Knights’ final nonconference opponent of the season, as they close out the regular season with series against Georgetown and South Florida.

The Knights also announced its series with Georgetown will consist of a doubleheader Saturday and one game on Sunday.

Freshman shortstop John Jennings started for junior Pat Sweeney, who sat out yesterday’s game with a sore shoulder.

Jennings hit 2-for-3 against UConn, including an RBI single to tie the game, 2-2, in the sixth inning.

“Jennings got a key hit, and he didn’t even know he was going to play today,” Hill said. “He did a really great job for us today.”

Jennings has started 10 games for Rutgers in his freshman season.

For updates on the Rutgers baseball team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D. For general Rutgers sports updates follow @TargumSports.