Robert Wood Johnson Foundation donates $12.5 million toward UMDNJ, University integration

The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation donated a $12.5 million grant to support the impending integration of the University and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, the University announced today in an UMDNJ Integration update email.

The grant is the largest single gift the University has received from the foundation, and will go to aiding a range of initiatives in the integration such as recruiting key academic and administrative leaders, consolidating complex systems in finance, human resources and information technology and communicating the benefits of integration to the people of New Jersey.

The grant will also support the ongoing development of a University-wide strategic plan, and the pending development of a University-wide facilities master plan.

“To our knowledge, the integration of Rutgers and UMDNJ is among the largest ever undertaken in higher education,” said University President Robert L. Barchi. “Combining the outstanding health education offered by UMDNJ with Rutgers’ many strengths in the arts, sciences, humanities and professional schools will create an academic powerhouse that will rank among the nation’s finest research universities.”

The integration is set to take place July 1, and under the New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act, most of the schools and institutes in UMDNJ will become a part of the University.

“The Rutgers-UMDNJ integration holds the promise of transforming Rutgers into a premier research and academic institution,” said Robert Wood Johnson Foundation President and CEO Risa Lavizzo-Mourey. “This grant reflects the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s commitment to supporting these educational and health care institutions, which are vital to the state’s economy and the health and well-being of its residents, especially the most vulnerable.”

By Julian Chokkattu