RU finishes ninth at champs

The Rutgers women’s track and field team concluded the third day of competition yesterday on campus in the Big East Championships with a ninth-place finish.

Notre Dame won the team title with a mark of 153 points. Connecticut placed second with a 102.75 score, and South Florida came in third with a 97.75.

Villanova and Pittsburgh rounded out the top five with team totals of 80.5 and 72, respectively. The Scarlet Knights’ score of 56 points placed them in ninth right behind Georgetown and ahead of Syracuse, which scored 46 team points.

Junior Asha Ruth captured the long jump title, as her distance of 6.14 meters was good enough for first place. Marquette’s Carlye Schuh placed second with her jump of 6.13 meters, while another Rutgers jumper, junior Ekene Ugboaja finished third with a jump of 6.10 meters.

Freshman Adrienne Williams finished 14th in the triple jump with a distance of 11.23 meters, while junior Kristen Bradley paced seventh in the 100-meter hurdles heptathlon thanks to her score of 15.90 meters. She also tied for third in the high jump heptathlon with a distance of 1.66 meters.

Junior Tylia Gillion finished third in the 100 meter, as her time of 11.66 seconds qualified her for the ECAC Championships. South Florida’s Aireonna Bailey finished first in that race with 11.48 seconds, while Notre Dame’s Aijah Urssery placed ahead of Gillion with a time of 11.56.

Sophomore Gabrielle Farquharson competed in two events in the final day of the championships, including an eighth-place finish in the same 100-meter race with 11.95 seconds. She also placed seventh in the 200-meter race with 24.16 seconds.

Ruth finished the highest for Rutgers in the 200-meter event with a third-place finishing time of 23.79. South Florida and Pittsburgh runners finished ahead of Ruth, as Bailey crossed the line first with a time of 23.40 and Panthers runner Jonnique Lawrence finished with a time of 23.59.

In team action, both the 4x400-meter and 4x800-meter relay teams finished sixth in their respective heats, as both finished with qualifying times for the ECAC Championships.

The 4x400 team, consisting of Gillion, Farquharson, Ruth and junior Corryn Hurrington, finished the race in 3:99.99, just .07 seconds shy of a fifth-place finish. Notre Dame finished in first in the event, Pittsburgh placed second and Georgetown finished in third with a finishing time of 3:38.49.

The 4x800 team of sophomores Christina Dibernardo, Felicia O’Donnell and Allison Payenski and junior Ashley Deckert finished their race with a time of 9:05.76. In that race, Villanova placed first with an 8:34.23 time, while Notre Dame and Georgetown finished second and third, respectively.

Rutgers’ next event will be in the ECAC Champions from Friday to Sunday, which will take place in Princeton.