Grease Trucks expected to move on or before Aug. 15

5200046393305.image
Photo by collegeavenuecampus.rutgers.edu |

Plans for the first construction project on College Avenue since 1961 show five acres on George Street between Seminary and Bishop places that are set to be developed, along with Lot 16 and Lot 8.

In a University-conducted survey from spring 2012, out of 1,812 students polled, 67 percent said they eat at the Grease Trucks at least once a month.

But as popular as the “Fat Cat” or the “Fat Darrell” is, the University is pushing the popular vendors away from Lot 8 to allow the New Brunswick Development Corporation to build a new Honors College, new student housing and a new academic building as a part of the College Avenue Redevelopment Initiative, according to E. J. Miranda, director of University Media Relations.

In an interview with The Daily Targum last year, Jean Holtz, vice president of Communications and Operations, said to fund this $295 million initiative, the University would take $199 million from student residential and dining fees and another $44 million through general operating revenues over a 30-year period.

But the two decade-long staple of the University is not being kicked out of the University. Rather, the University, along with DEVCO, are looking to move the trucks to a different location that has not been resolved yet.

“The University has been in discussions with these food truck operators about alternative sites,” Miranda said. “We expect this to be resolved shortly. The food truck operators are expected to begin relocation on or before August 15.”

The College Avenue campus has not seen a new building since the 1960s, and the redevelopment initiative is expected to begin mid-September according to nj.com. 

RU Hungry truck owner, Ayman Elnaggar, was not available for comment.

By Julian Chokkattu and Skylar Frederick