Freshman impacts RU offense

For some, the transition from high school senior to college freshman can be a difficult.

That does not seem to be the case for freshman midfielder Madison Tiernan, who has made her presence known early in her career with the Rutgers women’s soccer team.

It should not have been a total surprise considering Tiernan was a highly-touted recruit in high school.

Tiernan was the top-ranked women’s soccer player in New Jersey while at Eastern Regional High School. She has been a member of the under-15 National Team and a three-time All-American.

Head coach Glenn Crooks still sees room for improvement from the rookie.

“Madison is a dynamic player, but she is still learning the game which is a great thing to see from a young player,” Crooks said.

Now that Tiernan has arrived to the Scarlet Knights, she has shown she can play with the best players in the country.

In her first collegiate game Aug. 23, Tiernan scored her first-career goal to propel Rutgers to a 1-0 win against Drexel in the season opener.

She followed that up with her first-career assist two days later in the Knights’ 3-2 win against Army.

She was also recognized during the first weekend of the season, when she was named to the American Athletic Conference’s Weekly Honor Roll with junior forward Sara Corson.

“It’s an amazing feeling being able to make that transition to Division I soccer, playing well and helping my team win,” Tiernan said.

In the weeks following her first official collegiate honors, Tiernan is still making a name for herself.

Against Fordham, Tiernan scored one of three goals for the Knights as they came alive late to pull off the 3-0 win.

While this past weekend may have not gone well for Rutgers, there were still plenty of positives for them.

The Virginia Nike Soccer Classic All-Tournament Team was announced Tuesday and three Knights made the team — Tiernan, senior defender Tricia DiPaolo and senior forward Jonelle Filigno.

Even in a weekend where she did not register a point, Tiernan found a way to stand out among the talented players that played in last weekend’s tournament.

With her early success and plenty of senior players to learn from like Filigno, Tiernan looks to have a bright future ahead of her in a Knight uniform.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Jim Mooney