Individual awards reflect season goals

5227fd4bd4035.image
Photo by Noah Whittenberg |

Senior goaltender Jessica Janosz was on of two players to land on the AAC Honor roll with back-to-back shutouts this weekend.

Every season is different in sports, and every season must have a theme. For the Rutgers women’s soccer team, this season’s objective is to improve every day.

“Whether it’s on the practice field, in the weight room or in the training facility, everyone needs to get a little better every day,” said 14th-year head coach Glenn Crooks. “That is our theme for this season — get a little better each day.”

So far the mindset has paid off on the field, which has brought spotlight on individual accomplishments the early team success.

For the second consecutive week, the Scarlet Knights (4-0) have had players named to the American Athletic Conference’s Weekly Honor Roll.

Photo: Noah Whittenberg

Collegesportsmadness.com named senior forward Jonelle Filigno the American Athletic Conference Player of the Week on Tuesday. Filigno scored game-winning goals off penalty kicks in Rutgers’ last two games.

“As a unit we have performed very well, and now there are individuals getting recognized for their effort on the field, which is a great thing to see,” Crooks said.

This week, senior forward Jonelle Filigno and senior goaltender Jessica Janosz were both recognized for their performances last weekend against Delaware and Fordham.

Janosz had a solid weekend, leading the Knights to back-to-back shutouts along with highlight-reel quality saves in the process.

“Jess was certainly deserving of the honors this week,” Crooks said. “She made a couple of fantastic saves to go along with the shutouts.”

Along with the AAC Honor Roll nomination, Collegesportsmadness.com named Filigno the AAC Player of the Week. The senior has made the most out of her final season on the banks, as she has the opportunity to rewrite the University’s history books.

Filigno scored two game-winning goals, both penalty kicks, to bring her to 14 over her career. She currently sits second place all-time for game-winning goals behind Kris Kurzynowski and Carli Lloyd, who each had 15 game-winners.

“Jonelle is a professional when it comes to penalty kicks,” Crooks said. “You just know she can make the most out of the opportunity when she steps into the box.”

Filigno also sits at fourth all-time in school history in goals with 28.

With early season success, it can be easy to lose focus on the bigger picture.

It is something the Knights cannot afford to do as it prepares for the season’s toughest test so far Friday night against No. 5 Virginia.

“We have to get down to business and play together,” said freshman midfielder Madison Tiernan, who was named to the AAC Honor Roll last week. “If we do that with the talent we have, we can play with any team in the country.”

For updates on the Rutgers women’s soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Jim Mooney