Knights place third at invite

Though the Rutgers men’s golf team placed third yesterday in the Rutgers Invitational, junior Jacob Stockl’s performance must have pleased head coach Rob Shutte.

Stockl captured first place at the Invitational, carding four under par en route to the individual victory.

Stockl led the tournament in par-five and -three scoring, along with total pars. The Clark, N.J., native collected 40 pars in the contest and also shot one eagle in the invite. He also registered a minus-seven in par-five scoring and a minus two score in par-three scoring.

Stockl topped the leaderboard in the first day of action, as his minus-four effort aided the Scarlet Knights to holding first place after Day 1.

Senior Jonathan Renza tied for ninth at the Invitational after carding a 215 in the three-round tournament. His lowest score came in Round 2, when he carded a 69. Renza registered an even score in par-four scoring and collected 11 birdies.

Sophomore Jonathan Chang, senior Doug Walters and freshman Michael Howe comprised the rest of the Knights’ scorecard. Chang carded a 219 for a 15th-place finish, Walters tied for 39th and Howe placed 50th in the field. It was Howe’s first-career appearance.

As a team, Rutgers finished behind USC Upstate and Bethune-Cookman. USC Upstate captured the Invitational with a team score of 855, and had three of its competitors finish in the top six. Bethune-Cookman placed second with an 857 score.

Rutgers placed second in last year’s Rutgers Invitational, after it carded an 877 to place behind USC Upstate.

The tournament was composed of 16 teams and concluded play yesterday.

Rutgers also featured a ‘B’ team in the field, and that unit finished tied for ninth with Monmouth.

Freshman Chase Wheatley led that squad in scoring after he tied for 20th with a three-day score of 221. Senior Dillon Corbo, junior Hyung Mo Kim, sophomore Louis Bodine and freshman Ryan Rose also competed for the ‘B’ squad.

Rutgers’ next appearance will be at the Hartford Invitational beginning Sept. 23 in New Haven, Conn. According to the team’s website, the Knights will compete in at least 10 more matches this season, including four in the next two months.