Magazine lists 11 U. physicians as best doctors in NJ

5248d2a14f94d.image
Photo by Yesha Chokshi |

The Star-Ledger’s Inside New Jersey magazine listed 11 physicians from the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey among the best doctors in NJ.

According to a recent medical research publication, some of New Jersey’s best physicians work right here on the Rutgers—New Brunswick campus.

The Star-Ledger’s Inside New Jersey magazine listed 11 physicians from the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey among the best New Jersey doctors of 2013.

The list, published in conjunction with the medical research company Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., named the top 80 of a pool of 8,000 nominated N.J. physicians, said Rosemary Parrillo, editor-in-chief of Inside New Jersey.

“Our motivation [was] to provide New Jersey residents with a comprehensive list of the finest physicians practicing in the state,” she said.

The Cancer Institute of New Jersey physicians listed are John Aisner, David August, Robert DiPaola, Richard Drachtman, James Goydos, Bruce Haffty, Thomas Kearney, Lorna Rodriguez, Roger Strair, Deborah Toppmeyer and Robert E. Weiss.

A Cancer Institute of New Jersey statement said all of these physicians are also faculty members at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

The same statement indicates four are directors and three are chiefs of their departments. The list also includes the director of CINJ, DiPaola, and the institute’s chief medical officer, Toppmeyer.

The physicians’ online research profiles show their specialties cover various types of cancer, including lung cancer, blood cancer, urological cancer, skin cancer, gynecologic cancer and breast cancer.

The institute website says the institute’s overall mission is to use translational research to work towards a cure for cancer. Every physician’s goal is to transform laboratory research discoveries into clinical practices.

Parrillo said Inside New Jersey has published the “Top Doctors of New Jersey,” list, as well as five other healthcare sections — “Doctors for Women’s Health,” “Top Hospitals,” “Top Doctors for Children’s Health,” “Top Doctors for Cosmetic Procedures” and “Top Cancer Doctors” — every year since 2009.

She said Inside New Jersey teamed with Castle Connolly Medical because of its reputation as the most respected medical research company in the United States.

According to the Castle Connolly Medical website, major newspapers and magazines including The New York Times, Fortune and Good Housekeeping have recognized their publications.

“The physicians identified through the Castle Connolly research process are clearly among the very best,” Parillo said.

Castle Connolly Medical’s website says their most popular publication, “America’s Top Doctors,” has provided people with a list of the top one percent of doctors in the nation since 1992. Their regional lists, like “Top Doctors in New Jersey,” list the top 10 to 15 percent of regional doctors.

“We wanted to improve consumer choice,” said John Connolly, co-founder of Castle Connolly.

Connolly said he and co-founder John Castle began Castle Connolly after serving as chairmen of New York Medical College, the second largest private medical college in the United States.

“We thought if our friends wanted our recommendations, others would too,” he said.

Connolly said Castle Connolly chooses top physicians annually from a pool of peer-submitted nominations. The company’s physician-led research team then evaluates the physicians’ attributes including medical education, board certification, clinical skills and achievements.

According to their website, doctors cannot pay to appear on the list. They are listed independently of their affiliations.

DiPaola expressed his pride in his team of physicians’ recognition in the same news release.

“We are honored that our peers across the state recognize our dedicated physicians, who by collaborating with a larger team of researchers and clinicians from across the region and nation, work toward eradicating cancer,” he said.

Parrillo said she could not track the number of Cancer Institute of New Jersey physicians previously on the list, but the facility is well regarded.

According to its website, the institute is one of 41 centers nationwide with comprehensive designation, or the highest designation available to universities and cancer research centers, from the National Cancer Institute.

The Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey is at the forefront of research centers developing new treatments for cancer patients, according to the website.

Asbury Park Press reported yesterday that the New Jersey Commission of Cancer Research awarded a two-year, $100,000 grant to one of the institute’s researchers in the X.F. Steven Zheng Laboratory.

“Serving as New Jersey’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, [the institute] carries a tremendous responsibility in providing the latest treatment option to patients through cutting-edge research,” DiPaola said.

By Ingrid Paredes