Political correctness should not come at expense of tradition

Letter to the Editor

I am extremely disappointed in Rutgers changing the alma mater. It reeks of political correctness and undermines its true meaning.

The new lyric is lazy, shallow and doesn’t capture the essence of the original lyric, which is about resolving to go to Rutgers to become your own person.

No one is stupid enough to actually think that “and resolved that I should be a man” actually means Rutgers is going to change your daughter to a man. It is talking about maturing, growing up and finding yourself.

While we’re at it, I find the song discriminatory to floods and propose the line referencing “the flood” to “weather-related incident” or “tropical depression that caused the water level to rise, absent the river’s approval.” That new one is derogatory to those who don’t want to learn all they can. We have to make it nice to them too — “And resolved to do something while at Rutgers.” These are some quotes from my friends who share the same opinion.

Also, if people read the Declaration of Independence they would probably be aware of the phase, “all men are created equal.” While we are at it, why don’t we change that?

Another point, who is this Patrick Gardner that changed the lyrics? What authority does he have over this college’s fabled history? Why was this done in secret? Where were the opinion polls? Why wasn’t the faculty, staff and student body asked about this beforehand? What are Gardener’s credentials? This is a decision that is serious enough to require input from many different organizations within the University. There should have been a process behind the change instead of sneaking it behind everyone to get it passed.

I will be among many others who will be booing the Glee Club and the new alma mater. I will sing the one I graduated with and will continue to tell people the right words.

William Karavites is an application programmer for the Office of Information and Research Technology. He is a 2012 University alumnus.

By William Karavites