Rookie sees first-career appearance

52313715ecef7.image
Photo by Tian Li |

Sophomore Gina Li led the Knights in their first scrimmage of the fall season yesterday at home against NJIT. She posted a 16-5 overall singles record last season.

On a day when temperatures reached more than 90 degrees, the Rutgers tennis team fought both the heat and NJIT yesterday in a scrimmage at the Rutgers Tennis Complex.

“The ladies had to play in a very challenging environment,” said head coach Ben Bucca. “We really played some good tennis, and clearly won a majority of the matches against a team that was returning all of its players from last year.”

For the second year in a row, Rutgers faced off against the Highlanders in a preseason scrimmage. NJIT brought back its full roster — filled with foreign players — from last season’s match in which there was no clear winner.

The match was the first tune-up for the fall season and an opportunity for freshman Farris Cunningham play her first collegiate tennis. The Houston native is the only player added to last season’s squad that ended the spring season, 14-9.

“It will be interesting to see how Farris fits into our lineup since she is the only new player,” said assistant coach Hilary Ritchie. “The girls have been very supportive of her and I think she will be a great addition to the team.”

The ladies will next travel to Providence from Sept. 20-22 for the Brown Invitational. There they will face some difficult competition, including Boston College, Boston University and Brown. All three teams finished in the top 10 of last season’s ITA Northeast region rankings.

Bucca sees this as an opportunity to gain some good experience.

“It’s always really strong competition. Throughout the tournament everyone is constantly playing a hard match,” he said. “I think I speak for everyone on the team when I say that we are anxious to get up there and compete.”

For updates on the Rutgers tennis team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Louis Petrella