Rutgers begins season with four straight wins

The Rutgers women’s soccer team found its footing to start the season.

The Scarlet Knights are currently 4-0 after their most recent victory Sunday against Fordham.

The victories have not come easy for the Knights, but they have shown early on that they will have to be outworked to be defeated.

During the four-game winning streak, the Knights have won three one-goal contests and have shown a tendency to shine in the second half. Six of its eight goals came in the second half.

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno and junior midfielder Sara Corson have provided strong play.

Filigno leads the team with seven points and three goals. She also netted the game-winning goal on a penalty kick Friday against Delaware for a 1-0 victory.

She followed that performance with another penalty kick late against Fordham before the Knights added on two more goals to give them the 3-0 victory.

Corson’s early play put her on the American Athletic Conference’s Weekly Honor Roll last week along with freshman midfielder Madison Tiernan. Corson produced five points in Rutgers’ 3-2 victory Aug. 25 over Army.

Tiernan scored the game-winning goal in the season opener Aug. 23 against Drexel and is the first true freshman to earn a spot on the conference honor roll since 2007. She also tallied an assist against Army.

While Filigno, Corson and Tiernan have all been successful finding the back of the net so far this season, senior goaltender Jessica Janosz has left opponents still searching for the net.

Janosz has started every game so far for the Knights and has yet to allow a goal.

Rutgers will need her to continue that play on the road this weekend after it played three out of its first four games at home.

This weekend’s road trip includes Rutgers’ first big test of the season as it travels Friday night to face Virginia. The Knights fell to the Cavaliers, 6-1, last season in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Jim Mooney