Rutgers ties for sixth at Yale Invite

The Rutgers women’s golf team tied for sixth Sunday at the 17-team Yale Intercollegiate in New Haven, Conn.

Sophomore Samantha Moyal’s Day 3 performance was key to the Scarlet Knights’ finish.

Moyal’s even-par 71 Sunday was the second-best round of the day in the 91-player field, carding 226 to finish tied for 16th.

“The Yale tournament is probably one of the hardest courses I have played in my college career,” Moyal said. “My freshman experience I was intimidated by it. Going into this tournament I just wanted to conquer the course and set an example for the freshmen.”

Sophomore Jackie Mullens also finished among the top 25 competitors, carding 231 to finish tied for 24th in the three-round tournament.

Freshman Maddy Gedeon, sophomore Gabrielle Sacheli and freshman Taylor Clark comprised the rest of the Knights’ scorecard. Gedeon carded 238 for a 47th-place finish, Sacheli tied for 53rd with 239 and Clark tied for 55th with 240.

“I think they all did very well. I am very proud of each one of them,” said head coach Maura Ballard. “After each round we talked about what we did well, what we can improve on and everybody took action in all the areas they needed to. It was a great weekend.”

The Knights could have had an opportunity to place higher, but Sacheli woke up feeling sick just hours before the third round teed off.

Sacheli paced the Knights the first two rounds, shooting a 76 and 74, but carded an 89 on the final day to see her drop from 17th place to 53rd.

“I woke up sick, and I knew that it was not going to be my best day,” Sacheli said. “Physically I wasn’t there, so mentally I could not get myself there. I tried my best, it just wasn’t as great as it could have been.”

Despite her disappointment, the Pittsford, N.Y., native took positives from the tournament and expects to recover the form that helped her tie for eighth Sept. 8 at the Bucknell Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa.

“I think my first two days showed what my game has progressed into,” Sacheli said. “I know my game’s there — it’s just that last day I wasn’t feeling well.”

Tournament host Yale captured the team title with a score of 874, besting second-place Xavier by 19 strokes. Yale also won the individual championship thanks to freshman Elisabeth Bernabe carding one-over par (214).

The Knights finished three spots higher than in last year’s intercollegiate. And with this season’s team having less experience than years prior, Ballard believes the future is bright.

“We have a real solid foundation of talent and intellect,” Ballard said. “They are learning, paying attention to what they are doing well and not doing so well. I think there is so much potential with this team.”

For updates on the Rutgers women’s golf team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Sean Stewart