Schiano lost players’ faith, report says

5232836174900.image

Former Rutgers coach Greg Schiano has his players in an outrage, a report says.

Just one week into his second season as Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach, former Rutgers head football coach Greg Schiano is already having problems in his locker room.

The team held a players-only meeting before Sunday’s 18-17 loss to the New York Jets, according to NJ.com.

According to the report, one of the main discussions was of the removal of quarterback Josh Freeman from the captain’s position. Freeman held the title last year before Schiano stripped it, and was an offensive team captain for the past three seasons for the Buccaneers. 

Wide receiver Vincent Jackson replaced him. Jackson is in his second season with the team after playing with the San Diego Chargers.

During training camp, players on the team were reportedly unhappy Schiano counted the team’s votes for who should be captain.

When Schiano was asked about the allegations Wednesday, he denied it.

“It’s 100 percent false,” he told reporters. “If there was such a thing as 102 percent, this would be it.”

In 10 seasons with the Scarlet Knights, Schiano finished 68-67. The Wyckoff, N.J., native led Rutgers to six bowl appearances and five bowl wins.

The Buccaneers hired Schiano in 2012 and signed him to a 5-year, $15 million contract.

In his first season in Tampa Bay, Schiano finished 7-9 and 4th in the NFC South.

In Week 2 of last season, Schiano famously called for his defense to rush the line of scrimmage against the New York Giants, who were set to take a knee in its victory formation.

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin did not like the call, and confronted Schiano at the end of the game in the middle of the field.