Spring New York Fashion Week boasts promising trends

Commentary

New York’s Spring Fashion week splashed across the streets this past week attracting only those who have appreciation for wearable art. Here’s my breakdown of the hottest designers at this year’s show.

Let’s start off with Jason Wu. I believe that this year, Jason Wu’s spring collection spells simplicity in every piece. The best part of his collection is the delicacy of the materials, giving a lingerie-esque feel that caters to women’s desires. My favorite Wu piece was a two-tone sheer tank dress that channeled an “out to sea” feeling. 

Victoria Beckham’s line didn’t disappoint, either. NYFW has attracted fashionistas big and small. One of the smallest admirers was sitting front row at her show on Sunday. Two-year-old Harper Beckham sat on her father’s lap with a toothy smile and a perfect bun on the top of her head. Victoria’s little angel was dressed in a baby blue Chloé airy maxi dress and nude flats. The show was an absolute success, proving that her line is not just about high fashion clothes that are stiff and unwearable. In fact, the looseness of her collection literally showed in the open wide cropped pants, un-fitted jackets, and 90s undertone that she channeled in her spring collection. This collection was by far one of my favorites that she has produced. Her color contrasts were brilliant and every detail was thought out to perfection. One of my least favorite color combinations is red and pink, but she found a way to combine these colors in a softer design that simply… works. She also did a wonder with proportions. Playing with block color proportions, this collection is surely a leap out of her comfort zone. Nevertheless, the crowd’s reaction rewarded her courage to let loose.

When it comes to Alexander Wang, does he ever disappoint? The theme of his show was about branding. He found a way to get his name all over the apparel in interesting ways — sometimes subtle and sometimes not. This season he dazzled the crowd with easy and sexy menswear. I loved the easy-going feel of his carefully constructed collection. Keeping it simple, his key pieces included schoolgirl skirts, Mary Janes, and leather dresses. Wang had an impressive turnout of A-list celebrities including one of his large supporters Kanye West.

Zac Posencaught my eye with his line’s structure, ruffles, silk and flow. What I love about Posen is that he knows how to capture the mystery and elegance that gives women power and intrigue. Enough said. 

In my opinion, the brand to watch is definitely Delpozo. I predict that young Hollywood will be head over heels for the brand’s designer and genius Josep Font this season. It’s a completely unique brand with uber luxurious designs that I’ve fallen in love with. Likewise, I feel like the must-have look of the season will be the overalls featured in Phillip Lim’s line. Only Phillip Lim can make this comeback essential look flawless. 

My dream designer for this year’s NYFW ended up being Peter Pilotto Resort 2014, with his Brazilian forest-inspired. There is no color that is too bright or too strong for this collection, and that’s exactly what I love about it. Think of it as a perfectly tamed way to let out your primitive side. My favorite pieces have to be the Marissa Dress and Chiara Dress.

Finally, my biggest closet inspiration is Rodarte’s edgy collection, which to me radiates fierce energy. My favorite outfit: a top-buttoned flannel shirt, a white pencil skirt with a daring slit and a white snapback. The model was sporting leopard print pointy-toe heels that resembled men’s dress shoes from the front. The outfit was held together with a white pair of chic suspenders decked out in metallic studs. I love everything about this street-wear-meets-runway look. I feel like it brings some Cali girl effortless swag in to an east coast closet.

Adey Zegeye is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in journalism and media studies with a minor in cinema studies.

By Adey Zegeye