Transfer receives immediate eligibility

The NCAA has granted senior transfer J.J. Moore immediate eligibility, the school announced yesterday, to play this season for the Rutgers men’s basketball team.

Moore, a 6-foot-6 forward who played three seasons at Pittsburgh, makes it 12 eligible players for the Scarlet Knights, who open the season Nov. 8 against Florida A&M.

Last season with the Panthers, the Brentwood, N.Y., native averaged eight points per game in a reserve role for Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon. He registered 18.7 minutes per contest and his 21 points March 9 against DePaul tied a career high.

Moore was a three-star recruit, according to Rivals, out of South Kent (Conn.) High School. He received offers from Rutgers, Connecticut, Louisville, Marquette, Providence and St. John’s before choosing the Panthers.

Moore’s availability will only benefit the Knights, as he figures to make head coach Eddie Jordan’s starting lineup.

Moore will most likely start alongside junior forward Kadeem Jack and senior forward Wally Judge in Rutgers’ frontcourt, while junior guards Myles Mack and Jerome Seagears will anchor the Knights’ backcourt.

Moore is the second Knight to win immediate eligibility this season, joining Iowa State transfer Kerwin Okoro.

The NCAA originally denied Okoro eligibility after he transferred closer to home to be near his family after both his father and brother died earlier this year. But after an appeal, he was ruled eligible to play.

Both players will help to ease the loss of guards Eli Carter and Mike Poole and forward Derrick Randall, who all transferred in the wake of the Mike Rice scandal.

Rutgers is still waiting on the ruling of freshman forward Junior Etou’s status, as the ESPN Top-150 recruit factors to be one of the first players to come off the bench for Jordan.

If Etou is ruled eligible, Rutgers will have 13 players available for its opener.