Banning religious songs an attack on freedom

Letter to the editor

The Bordentown school district’s recent decision to ban religious songs from a winter concert marks yet another sad day in the history of our nation. It was the day we decided that political correctness should be valued higher than cultural acceptance.

America is a melting pot. That is a fact we are taught in school from the very beginning. Those who choose to ignore that fact have no business causing problems. That being said, why ignore the notion that we are so richly and culturally diverse? Why are we celebrating the ignorance that comes with an all-out ban on religious holiday music? There are lessons to be learned about different cultures in all aspects of life — abstaining from sharing these lessons does nothing but a disservice to future generations that may continue to practice the same intolerance that is so rampant at this moment in history.

I find it troubling that The Daily Targum, a group that should accurately represent the culturally diverse student body of Rutgers University, supports the idea of cultural fear. Because banning all religious songs in this particular situation came out of a fear of learning about those cultures. Wouldn’t the easier and fairer route have been to incorporate all songs into the concert instead of banning all of them?

It’s like this: Picture you want to host an ice cream party for all of your friends. Most of your friends love mint chocolate chip, so that’s the flavor you decide to buy in a jumbo size. But then a few people speak up and say they only eat rocky road, then a few others say they only eat cookies and cream, and then a few more say they only eat fudge ripple. So instead of running out to the store and buying a smaller size of every friend’s flavor, you ignore the problem and cancel the party altogether.

I say no to praising a decision that promotes ignorance. I say the ban on religious songs is not fair for all. The expectation that it will solve a larger problem is naïve. Instead, I say yes to learning about other cultures — even though it may be the more difficult decision — with the hope that the diverse students of Rutgers University agree with me.

Kelley Groh is a Rutgers Business School sophomore.

By Kelley Groh