Bold Lips, Hub City

525f4c0fd4169.image
Photo by Maiy Elbery |

MAC Lipstick "Taupe"

This fall, it’s all about dark and nude lipstick. Ranging from brown to deep wines, this bold look can be beautiful and glamorous, if you have the guts to try it.

If you are daring try using a darker shade of lipstick to go with any fall outfit you have in mind. If not you can always go for a nude colored lipstick to add an interesting edge to your look.

Since School of Arts and Sciences junior Jordanna Oliveira has a fair skin tone; we had to choose colors that suited her, which can often be tricky.

If you want to try out the bold lips, first make sure to find the best shade for your skin tone.

Photo: Maiy Elbery

Revlon Creamy Lipstick in "Mulberry." 

Photo: Maiy Elbery

Lipstick: MAC "Myth" 

Photo: Maiy Elbery

Lipstick: MAC Rihanna Limited Edition Collection "Heaux." 

You do not want to buy a lipstick the same color of your skin nor do you want to wear a color that is too dark and stands out too much, while in reality it is supposed to be a subtle pop of color that polishes off your look.

Fair skin tones: Shades of blood red or dark berry would look great on you. Try Nars in Fire Down Below, $26, at Sephora or MAC in Amorous, $15, found at any MAC store or department store counter.

Medium Skin Tones: You can pull off wine-red or maroon because it will suit your skin tone very effortlessly. Try Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Black Raspberry, $25, at Sephora or MAC’s Lipstick in Diva, $15, you can find it at any MAC store or counter in department stores.

Dark Skin Tones: Any dark lipstick will work with this skin tone! From a deep wine to a brown, you skin will make the color pop and that is what we want. Try NYX Creamy Round Lipstick in Bruised, $4, or one from Rihanna’s Limited Collection for MAC called Heaux, $15.

You should also prep your lips before applying these colors by applying a lip moisturizer and then using a lip liner to avoid the lipstick from bleeding or looking cakey.

After prepping your lips by applying a light layer of lip balm, lightly blotch your lip with foundation to make sure your lip color stays on.

Sometimes with these dark colors, they may fade out during the day and look unappealing so adding foundation helps keep the lip color on as well as using a lip liner.

And if you are worried about lipstick getting on your teeth, apply Vaseline onto your teeth after applying the lipstick; this will eliminate the color the stick and keep you from unknowingly having red splotches on your two front teeth.

Which ever color you choose, try them in matte or cream textures since the shiny finish tends to migrate on your lips as the day goes on.

Do not apply too much especially with those darker colors since the color is so bold you do not need to add more than one coat onto your lips.

* Scarlet Knight Beauty Tip: Wearing lots of mascara and eyeliner will enhance the look.

Maiy Elbery