Dressing for Weird Weather

525712ada830d.image
Photo by Shirley Yu |

October brings many highly anticipated seasonal gems – pumpkin spiced lattes, crispy colored leaves, the aroma of fresh air and fall fashion. But fashion lovers have found that this year, fall feels more like summer. 

It seems that the weather confusion has caused wardrobe malfunctions around campus.

“The weather has been so bipolar lately and it’s annoying because I already switched over to fall clothing,” said School of Arts and Sciences junior, An Nguyen. “And I don’t plan on going back to summer clothes any time soon.”

Although fall has arrived, the temperatures suggest otherwise, so put away the Ugg boots and take advantage of the unusually warm weather. With these three tips, there’s no need to switch wardrobes again:

Photo: Shirley Yu .

Tip #1

With cold mornings and hot afternoons, it’s best to wear a light jacket over your outfit that you can take off when it gets too hot.

Ladies: Wearing a blazer, jean jacket, cardigan or leather jacket/vest can add the right amount of warmth without making you too hot.

Gents: A light jacket can be a blazer, a sweater or a varsity jacket. Leather and denim have become very popular for men recently, as well as bomber jackets.

“It’s such a weird time of the year… so I know I need to wear something that will keep me cool and warm at the same time,” said SAS senior, Kristin Seigeldorf. “Adding a blazer over my outfit always seems like the right thing to do, especially because I could wear a light blouse underneath so that I can take off the blazer when I get to work.”

Tip #2

Shoes can either make or break an outfit. Though it may seem intuitive to break out the Uggs in October, now may not be the best time to do so.

Ladies: Booties are the trendiest shoe on the market right now, and they are perfect for this kind of weather. Flats, close-toed wedges and ballet pumps are all stylish shoes you can rock around the campus without having to worry about your feet getting too cold or too hot.

Gents: Sneakers are probably the most ideal shoes for you. They can be worn with nearly anything. Boat shoes, desert boots, chukka boots and loafers are also perfect items to keep you fashionable for fall, yet still practical enough for the changing weather.

Tip #3

Putting outfits together can be very simple. This kind of weather allows you to mix together clothing pieces from other seasons.

Ladies: Sweaters and boyfriend crops are very trendy right now. Cardigans, blouses, denim shirts, dresses and loose tees are all good options as well. Stay away from the heavy clothing as much as possible right now.

Gents: Crewneck sweatshirts are popular on campus. Match that with jeans and a pair of kicks and you’re set for the day. Flannels, three-quarter sleeve shirts, tee shirts and polos are also weather-appropriate options.

“Adjusting to this weather is great because it’s a mix of warm and cold, you can mix and match pieces from both seasons,” said SAS senior Shanice O’Brien. “You could wear something like a simple sundress with boots and a blazer that would be great for this kind of weather.”

Remember when getting dressed in the morning, you can still add layers. Just keep in mind the weather could get hotter as the day goes on.

Check out SAS seniors Flisadam Pointer and Kristin Seigeldorf’s outfits sported on campus. They adjusted their outfits to the weather and still layered to get their dose of fall fashion.

Maiy Elbery