May 23, 2019 | 73° F

Quality news sources really do exist

Letter to the Editor

I am befuddled by Daily Targum columnist Sabri Rafi’s piece encouraging the University community to live in ignorance because, well, the world is a not happy place, and “Breaking Bad” is quality television. The examples used to encourage this disinterest in world affairs are CNN and Fox News. I don’t know if anyone would consider either the nation’s premier journalism. Whether it’s the reporting on the “poop cruise” or forcing us to listen to Bill O’Reilly, the networks make it impossible not to want to curl into a ball and watch Walter White. Luckily for the “U-S-of-A” and the author, there is hope. The news is now more diverse than ever with sources such as newspapers — the pieces of gray stuff with the black stuff that gets on your hands. The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal are each doing excellent journalistic work right now. Reasoned and vetted, they provide reliable information in this day and age where “fair and balanced” is a joke. Lest we forget National Public Radio, available on 93.9 FM for those of us in New Brunswick, “All Things Considered” and “Morning Edition” can give you plenty of information that you will not hate. It’s the news, not the screaming heads which the writer has mistaken for news. I cannot forget my medium of choice — magazines. The world of magazines is second only to the Internet in its diversity. Whether you like knitting or want to stay fit during pregnancy, there is a magazine for it. Offerings such as Time Magazine, while not what they once were, offer an easy to read and quality round-up of what’s going on in the world. The New Yorker, New York Magazine and The Atlantic cover the world and its happenings at a distance that can help bring sanity to our 24/7 world. It is the duty of a citizen in a representative democracy to know the state of the world. Our votes are what choose our leaders, and last I checked, Walter White wasn’t on the ballot. The news can suck, but when you use CNN and Fox News as evidence, you are looking in all the wrong places. News should not be passively consumed with the TV on while burning hours playing “Minecraft.” It is a commitment and takes effort. We are at college to gain knowledge. A man who reads the New York Times everyday is a man of great knowledge. After all, it’s all the news that is fit to print.

Jacob Nieman is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in planning and public poloicy.

By Jacob Nieman