Rutgers Homecoming game against Houston to start at noon

When the Rutgers football team takes the field next Saturday against Houston, it will be the first time the Scarlet Knights play in High Point Solutions Stadium since Sept. 21.

The AAC and ESPN announced yesterday the game between the Knights and the Cougars will begin at noon. The contest will serve as Rutgers’ homecoming game.

The game will either show on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews or as part of the American TV Game of the Week package.

While Rutgers will enter the game after a bye week, Houston will have a game against nonconference foe Brigham Young under its belt.

“[Houston] will be a tremendous challenge for us,” Flood said yesterday via teleconference. “They’re very well-coached. I think Coach [Tony] Levine has done an excellent job taking over that program.”

The Cougars (5-0, 2-0) have defeated both Memphis and Temple for their two conference victories and tie with No. 8 Louisville and South Florida for first place in the AAC.

“They’re as good as anybody in the country on special teams,” Flood said. “They run the ball very, very well for excellent yardage in every game. That’s going to be a great challenge for our defense for sure.”

The Knights will go against one of the better offenses in the country, as Houston ranks 27th overall in total offense.

Rutgers will look to rebound from generating just 10 points against Louisville.

“Offensively, we have to try to get back on track,” Flood said. “We were a little disjointed in that last game and certainly the Louisville defense had a lot to do with that, but certainly there are a lot of things we think we can do better.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.