Take advantage of Douglass opportunities to connect with city

Letter to the Editor

Nomin Ujiyediin’s column on Wednesday, Oct. 2, addresses an important topic — the relationship between Rutgers University and the city of New Brunswick. Learning about the community in which one lives is an important part of education, and can contribute, in Ujiyediin’s words, to “fruitful intellectual discoveries” and “adult responsibilities.” I commend her for addressing this subject in The Daily Targum. Douglass Residential College is working with the New Brunswick Domestic Violence Awareness Coalition to help students learn about and engage with the residents of New Brunswick on an issue that affects both citizens and students — gender-based violence. The coalition will be holding its annual march on Saturday, Oct. 19, beginning at the Puerto Rican Action Board headquarters at 90 Jersey Ave. Students who would like to participate in the march can learn about the various roles available to them at any of three information sessions taking place on three campuses next week. They are taking place on Tuesday, Oct. 8, from 6 to 7 p.m. at the Center for Latino Arts and Culture at 122 College Ave., Thursday, Oct. 10, 2 to 4 p.m. in Meeting Room E in the Douglass Campus Center and Friday, Oct. 11, 3 to 5 p.m., at The Collaborative at 640 Bartholomew Road on Busch Campus. I would also encourage students to take part in the Candlelight Vigil for Women Aware on Tuesday, Oct. 8, at 6:30 p.m. in Monument Square at the corner of George Street and Livingston Avenue.

Karen Alexander is the dean of junior and senior year programs at Douglass Residential College.

By Karen Alexander