AAC Tourney finishes Sunday

527afbba0e1a8.image
Photo by Dennis Zuraw |

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno scored two goals in Rutgers’ last meeting against Memphis, which the Knights face tomorrow in the quarterfinals.

The AAC’s inaugural women’s soccer championship wraps up this weekend.

In the quarterfinals tomorrow, top-seeded UCF takes on No. 5 seed USF in a battle of the Sunshine State at 5 p.m., followed by No. 3 Rutgers against No. 7 Memphis at 7:30.

It took the Scarlet Knights two overtimes to beat No. 6 Cincinnati, 2-1, in the quarterfinals this past Sunday at Yurcak Field.

Sophomore forward Rachel Cole found the back of the net from about 30 feet out just 17 seconds before the end of the second overtime, preventing a shootout. It is Rutgers’ first conference tournament semifinal since 2006.

Memphis shut out No. 10 Houston in the first round Friday but had its work cut out for it in an upset over No. 2 Louisville.

Forward Valérie Sanderson scored both goals in a 2-1 double-overtime win, with her second coming in the 106th minute. She leads the AAC in points with 155 and goals with 51 — 16 from the past four games.

Rutgers beat the Tigers, 3-2, Oct. 4 at Yurcak Field. Senior forward Jonelle Filigno scored two goals for the Knights, while midfielder Marissa Duguay posted two for the Tigers.

Down 3-1 with time running out, defender Kaitlyn Atkins scored to keep a Memphis comeback alive, but they could not tie it. The hard-fought game resulted in a yellow card for head coach Glenn Crooks and the Rutgers bench in the 58th minute.

UCF comes off a commanding 3-0 victory Sunday against SMU. It would have recorded a perfect conference mark this season, if not for a tie Oct. 11 against Cincinnati.

The UCF Knights beat in-state rival USF on Sept. 27, 2-1. USF beat No. 4 UConn on the road, 4-1, to punch its ticket to the quarterfinals.

Both games occur at the UCF Soccer/Track Complex in Orlando, with the championship taking place Sunday at noon.

By Justin Lesko