Kelley leaves program days before start of season


Junior guard Logan Kelley is no longer a member of the Rutgers men’s basketball team, according to a press release from the school.

“After meeting with Logan, it was apparent the best course of action was for him to pursue other opportunities,” said head coach Eddie Jordan in a statement. “We wish Logan the best moving forward.”

Kelley appeared in three games as a walk-on freshman last season. He recorded an assist in the Scarlet Knights’ second game of the season last year against Sacred Heart. He registered three minutes for the Knights last season.

“Sad to say I will be leaving. Thanks for all the love and support I have received. Know my boys are going to do great this year. #RFamily,” Kelley tweeted from his account.

The departure gives Rutgers just 11 scholarship players for the Knights’ season opener Friday against Florida A&M. Jordan put Kelly on scholarship after last season.

Jordan said he would like to use at least 11 players in his rotation.

Against Caldwell last Friday, Jordan used 10 players in his lineup. The only unused scholarship member was freshman forward Junior Etou.

Kelley considered scholarship offers from Wagner, Long Island, St. Peter’s and Miami (Ohio) before deciding to walk on for Rutgers.

Kelley averaged 24 points per game during his senior season at Governor Livingston (N.J.) High School, where he finished with 1,324 points.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D. For general Rutgers sports updates. follow @TargumSports.


By Bradly Derechailo

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Targum.