Knights avenge last year with quad meet sweep

The Rutgers swimming and diving team produced revenge this weekend with wins against three of its former conference rivals at the Rutgers Aquatic Center.

The Scarlet Knights defeated Georgetown (1-6), 251-97, Seton Hall (4-4), 244-104 and Villanova, 217-130.

The Knights hosted the two-day quad meet last season, but fell to the Wildcats. The Knights (4-0) also finished behind Villanova (3-5) in last season’s Big East Championships, making a victory this weekend all the more satisfying for head coach Phil Spiniello.

“We had a lot of season-best swimming times, which is great to see at this point,” Spiniello said. “There were a lot of fast times for November and obviously it’s always good to walk away with wins, but to beat a Villanova team that beat us last year … that was a good feeling as well.”

Captain Nicole Scott’s performance highlighted the Knights individual achievements.

The senior diver broke a six-year program record in the 3-meter with a score of 342.95, which beat the previous record of 301.05 set in 2007. Scott also finished first in the 1-meter dive while freshman Rebecca Gross finished behind her in both events.

“Training has been going really well this year so far and it was just really exciting that I could put my dive on the record list,” Scott said.

Senior Mary Moser and sophomore Joanna Wu had performed dominantly as well. Moser executed two individual first-place finishes in the 100 freestyle and 100 butterfly. Wu completed three individual first-place finishes in the 200 backstroke, 500 free style and a commanding win in the 1,000 freestyle. Wu and Moser also contributed to the 200 medley, 200 freestyle and 400 medley relay teams with first place finishes in each.

“We’re definitely a lot more confident going into the next part of the season,” Wu said. “We’re a lot stronger, we’re a lot more powerful and we’re definitely a team that everyone needs to make sure that they don’t underestimate.”

Senior Brittany Guinee and junior Greta Leberfinger also competed on the first-place 200 and 400 medley relay teams. Guinee captured first in the individual 200 butterfly, while Moser finished second.

Leberfinger captured first in the 100 breaststroke. Senior captain Allyson Perrotti finished second, and freshman Rachel Stoddard placed third in the race.

With many Knights posting season-best times, Spiniello feels the team is in good standing.  

“I have been happy with the mentality and the mindset of the team since the first day of practice,” Spiniello said. “They set pretty high goals this season and they’re taking the steps necessary to reach those goals.”

For updates on the Rutgers swimming & diving team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Sean Stewart